Skype is a great technology for making calls worldwide to any landlines and cell phone number also to make Computer to Computer calls.
I admire Skype technology and everyday of my life I use Skype. I have used many versions of Skype and it seems to get better every time.
You may want your contact name different or the similar ones. How to rename Skype Contacts?
- You might know a John working in your company and a John who is your client. This may lead to an issue where you sometime send a wrong message to your client.
To prevent this, you can give custom names to your contacts.
- John Internal and John Client or Client John or John Consultmirror
- This way you know to differentiate between 2 contacts
You can rename the Skype contacts by following the methods below
- Login to Skype
- Click on any contacts
- Right click on the contact view and you will get a menu as seen below
- Click “Rename”
- This will give you the editing option on the existing name as seen below
- Change the name that you want to and click outside of this editing box
- Your changes will be saved
- I found this method to be very useful in organizing the contacts
You can keep funny names also, your contacts will not know that you have changed the name. Have Fun.
If you have any questions, please comment. Your suggestions and subscription will encourage me to post more.
8 thoughts on “Skype Tips – Rename Your Contacts”
Nice tip. Is there a way to revert the renamed contact to the name the user had originally specified? When chatting, users generally refer to each other using their visible names. If I rename a person, in time I will forget what is the name that the other people see for this contact.
We've long been using this rtx dualphone 3088 for quite some time now and I have to pronounce it is a really major bit of equipment. see … this page
Thanks for this! There’s nothing about this on the Skype FAQ, so this was super helpful.
I renamed my ex-girlfriend to “She Nuts. Just be kind.” Really helps!
is there no way of changing the contact’s name for the whole of their conversation history??? what’s the point if it only changes the name on the next messages the person sends??? please get back to me asap 🙁
Honestly No idea, how to change that. But changing the name should change the name in the history too, stupid developers 😉
I have my contacts from my address book in Skype (OS X), but Skype displays the number instead of the name, it drives me nuts! And the rename option is disabled. Any way to fix this?
Ok, I found a solution. If you add a contact and choose to save a phone number and you use the same phone number as the one in your address book then it matches with the one in your address book and lo and behold! You can then rename it! How complicated can you make it for people, eh?